In 1893, Baldwin exhibited a 2-4-2 with an exceptionally wide firebox at the Columbian World's Fair. The locomotive with the name "Columbia" gave its name to future engines with the 2-4-2 wheel arrangement. The design became popular because of the fact that the extra rear axle supported the wide firebox which, when burning cord wood, enabled steam to be kept up even though the fuel quality was poor.
2-4-2 locomotives were used by several of the logging railroads along the Mendocino Coast – see the pictures below:
This 2-4-2 ran on 3 foot gauge track and belonged to the Finn and Peterson Lumber Company. Their mill was at Delmar landing, just south of Gualala. This locomotive once ran on the Ferries & Cliff House Railway in San Francisco.