The Pacific was a sailing schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1875.
Pacific (second of the same name):
Built by Kruse & Banks in 1920 in Noth Bend, Oregon. She displaced 1,240 tons.
The Pacific Enterprise was a 6,736 ton freighter, 412 feet long and 55 feet at the beam. She was built in Glasgow and owned by the Norfolk and North American Steamship Company and commanded by Captain Cogle. Launched in 1927 the ship ran aground in a heavy fog off Point Arena Lighthouse on September 9, 1949 carrying a cargo of wheat, lumber, canned salmon and metals.
Built in 1887 by Hay andWright in San Francisco. She displaced 300 tons. She was turned into a salvage tender/oil skimmer in her last years. She was abandoned in Oakland Creek, San Francisco Bay.
One of the worst storms on record occurred between November 17th and 23rd, 1865. Mrs. Silas Coombs of Little River wrote about the storm in the November 28th issue of the “Ukiah Herald.” She reported that in harbor at Little River three schooners, Ellen Adelia, Don Leandro and Phoebe Fay were beached and wrecked.
The Phoenix was a wooden team schooner of 294 registered tons, built in 1898 by Hay & Wright at Alameda, California. She was originally named the Aloha with a home port in San Francisco. The vessel was damaged by fire in 1902 and rebuilt by Hay & Wright. She emerged as the Phoenix, her tonnage now at 256 registered tons. She was sold in 1905 to Henry Templeman of San Francisco, who also owned and managed the steam schooner, Sea Foam. On August 15, 1910, the boiler exploded, killing four men, when the Phoenix was 10 miles north of Point Arena. She was sold and bought several more times until 1932 when the Phoenix was laid up and abandoned in Oakland Creek, San Francisco
Built by Aberdeen Shipbuilding Co. in 1917 at Aberdeen, Washington. She displaced 1,266 tons. She was stranded and lost off of Port Orford in 1935.
Built by George W. Boole in San Francisco in 1887. She displaced 223 tons. She was stranded and lost off of Pigeon Point on August 9th, 1913. She was a two masted steam schooner.
Built by Bendixsen at Fairhaven, California in 1903. She displaced 368 tons.
The following piece was written by our historian Louis Hough and appeared in the Mendocino Beacon.
On March 17, 1908, the Pomona was steaming northward in heavy seas just off Fort Ross and struck Monterey Rock (so named for the Monterey, which had met with disaster on the same rock years before).
The Pomona, once hailed as ”the Pride of the Coastal Fleet,” weighed 1264 tons, was 225 ft long, 33.5 ft at the beam, and had a draft of 16 ft. She was built in 1888 by Union Ironworks, San Francisco for the Oregon Improvement Company. She was a single-screw, steel-hulled passenger and freight steamer. Originally designed for the Northern California passenger trade, she was adapted in 1897 by the Pacific Steamship Company to operate between San Francisco and Vancouver, making stops at ports in between.
The S.S. Pomona’s Captain Swansen tried to run her aground in Fort Ross cove, but impacted the fringing wash rocks where the ship foundered. Over the subsequent months, salvage operations were conducted on the ship, and eventually she was dynamited as a navigational hazard.
The wreck lay undisturbed until the late 1950s, when SCUBA divers rediscovered her. Between 1959 and the early 1970s, the wreck was looted by divers, but the site is now protected by California State Parks. Today, the wreck lies in 27 to 40 feet of water in Fort Ross cove, with the bow broken over the wash rock where she ran aground.
Built by Kruse & Banks in 1917 at North Bend, Oregon. She displaced 1,358 tons. She was sold to Russian interests. Ultimately she broken up at Antioch in 1937.
The Portia operated along the ports of the Mendocino Coast. The ship went ashore at Stewart’s Point in 1899 but was pulled off with much trouble.
Wreck of the steamer Portia at Stewart’s Point, California.
The ship went ashore at Stewart’s Point in 1899 but was pulled off with much trouble.
Built William A. Boole in 1902 at Oakland, California. She displaced 406 tons. In her last years she was converted to a barge. She was broken up at San Pedro in 1935.
Built by Hansen & Fraser at San Francisco in 1888. She displaced 281 tons.
The Quaddy Belle was a sailing brig stranded in a storm off the Mendocino Coast in 1868.
The Queen Christina is believed to have been wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1908.
Built by Mathewws Shipbuilding Co. in Portland, Oregon in 1921. She displaced 1,138 tons.