Built by Kruse & Banks at North Bend, Oregon in 1908. She displaced 751 tons. She foundered and was lost in Mexican waters on March 19th, 1922.
A 99 ton two masted schooner launched in 1869 was stranded during a storm and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1885.
A two masted schooner known to have worked the doghole ports along the Mendocino Coast.
Fannie was a pilot boat and was wrecked off the Mendocino Coast in 1852.
Fannie A. Hyde:
A 90 ton two masted schooner owned by Captains Jensen and Petersen was wrecked and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1886.
She was a sailing schooner and was stranded off the Mendocino Coast in 1872
The Far West was a two masted sailing schooner stranded in a gale off the Mendocino Coast in 1863.
Built by Hay shipbuilding Co. in San Francisco in 1888. She displaced 368 tons.
Fideliter was a steam schooner built in 1876 owned by the Pacific Coastal Steamship Company displacing 175 tons. Captain von Helms was in charge of her when she dragged her moorings and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast.
Built by Kruse & Banks at North Bend, Oregon in 1908. She displaced 634 tons. She was stranded and lost off the Coquille River in 1916.
Built by John McDade at Eureka, California in 1917. She foundered and sank off of Monterey in June 1925.
Florence was a schooner which sailed under Captain Josslyn. She was stranded off the Mendocino Coast in 1870.
The Flying Mist was a sailing schooner and was lost off the Mendocino Coast in 1867.
Built by Grant, Smith and Porter at Aberdeen, Washington in 1919. She displaced 2,426 tons. She foundered and sank in Mexican waters in 1940.
The Fort Bragg was built in Fairhaven, California by J.H. Price and launched October 20, 1910. It was operated by Charles H. Higgins, a shipping firm in San Francisco. (The letter ”H” is prominent on the smokestack) At some time before 1930 she was lengthened and increased her masks from two to three. In 1930, after she was lengthened, she was 188 ft in length with a 40 ft. beam. 912 gross tonnage, 498 net tonnage. She operated with a 550 horsepower steam engine. On September 7, 1932, the Fort Bragg was stranded on the south jetty of Coos Bay, Oregon and was no longer used.
She was a sailing schooner stranded off the Mendocino Coast in 1863.
Frank D. Stout:
Built by St. Helens Shipbuilding Co. at St. Helens, Oregon in 1917. She displaced 1,113 tons. She was stranded and lost at Port Oxford in 1937.
Built by Kruse & Banks in North Bend, Oregon in 1917. She displaced 1,294 tons. She was broken up.
A two masted schooner launched in 1869. She was 86.5 feet long, 26.3 feet in the beam and displaced 87 tons. Commanded by Captain Jensen she became a total wreck at Noyo on February 2, 1881.
Built in 1844 the Frolic was a wind powered brig. She was owned by the Augustine Heard and Company of Boston and captained by Edward Horatio Faucon. She was 88 feet long with a 24 foot beam and displaced 212 tons.
Built by Kruse & Banks in 1907 at Marshfield, Oregon. She displaced 794 tons. She sank in Mexican waters and when raised converted to a barge.
Built by Bendixsen in Fairhaven, Californai in 1898. She displaced 380 tons. She sank in Puget Sound.
The Galveston was a sailing brig stranded off the Mendocino Coast in 1863.
The General Ord was a two masted schooner launched in 1869 owned by Gus Scheultz. Commanded by Captain Knudson she was 87.5 feet long, 25 feet across the beam and displaced 93 tons. She was stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1889.
Georgia R. Meridith:
Commanded by Captain Samuelson she was a 95 ton two masted schooner launched in 1875. She was stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1887.
Built by John Lindstrom in Aberdeen, Washington in 1901. She displaced 453 tons. She was stranded and lost at the mouth of the Umpqua River on October 2nd, 1915.
Built by Rolph Shipbuilding in 1918 in 1918. She displaced 2,361 tons. She was broken up in the 1930’s.
The cover of Vol IV. No. 2 of the Mendocino Historical Review which is all about the town of Albion shows the photo on the Girlie Mahoney on the cover.
The steamer Girlie Mahoney was wrecked in Albion harbor on the north side of the beach December 23rd, 1919. The Hamm brothers, Bill and Emil told us (the Mendocino Historical Review un-named author) of her tragic ending as it was told to them.
Ready to sail for San Francisco, the stern line of the vessel became entangled in the propeller and no-one on board could release it. A diver was called and he agreed to go into the sea to free the disabled propeller – for a fee of $500. The captain of the Girlie Mahoney considered the amount exorbitant as the water was calm and the situation seemed without danger. The diver left the scene.
The next day the sea became so rough the diver did not dare to carry out his mission even for $500. The steamer Sea Foam attempted to aid the helpless vessel but a line could not be transferred between the vessels because of the rough sea.
The Girlie Mahoney struck the wharf and finally broke through taking 150 feet of the wooden structure with her. She landed on the beach and there, pounded by the unceasing waves, became a total wreck. All hands were saved and unharmed.
The Girlie Mahoney was launched in 1904 and had a capacity of about 400,000 board feet of lumber. She was a vessel of 392 tons built in Aberdeen, Washington by Lind in 1904. She was 141 feet long and 34 feet in the beam. In 1915 Captain Eliason commanded her and at the time of her demise she was commanded by Captain Hansen. The Girlie Mahoney started out as the James S. Higgins, built by John Lindstrom in 1904. No date as to when she was renamed.
The Glenarm was a sailing schooner launched in 1864 owned by Thomas Pollard. She parted her lines and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1875. Her captain was named P.B. Nelson.
The Golden Gate was a sailing schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1885.
Golden Gate (the second of this name):
The Golden Gate was the first vessel to come into the new harbor at Fort Bragg with 120,000 feet of lumber, loaded at Newport, for use in the construction of the Fort Bragg mill. The Golden Gate was a two-masted schooner built in 1874 by Hans D. Bendixsen in Eureka, California. The ship was driven ashore at Whitesboro by a storm on November 23, 1885, pulled off and repaired. She went ashore on the beach at Point Arena in April 1889. Carpenters made some repairs after which she was towed to San Francisco by the steam schooner, Alcatraz. Two trips later, she became a total loss at Point Arena at the south end of Manchester Beach. Remains were salvaged and refined into building material for construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.
A 72 ton two masted schooner launched in 1860 owned by Captain Hendrix. She was commanded by Captain Kuhn. She parted her moorings and was lost of f of the Mendocino Coast in 1881.
Golden Rule (second ship of this name):
A two masted schooner launched in 1866 owned by Beck Iverson. She displaced 118 tons. She was grounded and lost in 1878 off of the Mendocino Coast.
The Golden State was a two masted schooner and lost on May 18th 1865 at Point Arena in a storm. According to the Mendocino City newspaper, “November 27th, 1865 - Storm Cloud, a schooner, was discovered bottom up on the beach as the day dawned. (She had been driven on shore by heavy seas. The ship was a total loss. Jerome B. Ford and others, including the [Mendoccino Lumber]Company, were its owners).
The Golden West was the first ship to tie up at the Union Lumber Company mill in Fort Bragg in 1885. The Golden West brought materials from Newport to build the mill.
Built by John Lindstrom at Aberdeen, Washington in 1907. She displaced 659 tons. She was broken up.
Built by Bendixsen in 1904 at farhaven, California. She displaced 915 tons. She foundered and was lost at the mouth of the Umpqua River on October 2nd, 1915.
Built by Thomas Patrick Henry Whitelaw in San Francisco in 1886. She displaced 192 tons. She was abandoned in Oakland Creek, California.
A steam schooner that worked the doghole ports of the Mendocino Coast. She was built in 1901 by John W. Dickie at Alameda in California. She displaced 228 tons. She was stranded and sank on Blunts Reef in 1931.
The Gussie Klose was a two masted schooner launched in 1876. She was wrecked in 1893 off of the Mendocino Coast.