The Jack Hays was a sloop which was stranded off the Mendocino Coast in 1858.
A sailing schooner she struck a reef and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1888.
Built in 1867 by Thomas H. Peterson at Noyo for Macpherson & Wetherbee she was 107 feet long and 29 feet in the beam. A three-masted schooner, she was rated at 168 tons burthen. Peterson charged $17,000 to build her. In the exchange of Macpherson & Wetherbee timber properties, the schooner came under the ownership of White and Plummer. She was in their service when she parted her tow and was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast. According to the newspaper “Mendocino Beacon” the year of her loss was 1882 or 1895.
Built by Wilmington Shipbuilding Co. in 1917 at San Pedro, California. She displaced 1,545 tons. She was broken up at San Pedro.
The J.B. Brown was a sailing brig under Captain Brown. She was stranded at Albion in 1857 and repaired.
The J.E. Murdock was a sailing schooner stranded off the Mendocino Coast in 1863.
One of ships that plied her trade along the Mendocino Coast. She was wrecked at Point Arena in 1900.
Commanded by Captain Casperson she was a 63 ton two masted schooner and was launched in 1885. She parted her lines and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1887.
Built by Hay Shipbuilding I in San Francisco in 1888. The Jewel was owned by the Caspar Lumber Company and was another of their ships that ended in disaster. She was commanded by Captain Madsen.
She measured 134.0' x 33.0' x 10.3', with a 150 hp engine. It is not known when she was acquired by Caspar Lumber Co. In June 1893, she lost her rudder on the rocks at Westport and was towed to San Francisco by the tug "Rescue".
On December 9, 1899, she left San Francisco after spending several weeks being repaired with the machinery improved and new boilers. She had arrived at Caspar and took on 250,000feet of lumber when the weather turned bad, so the captain decided to run out to sea and remain off for the night rather than remaining at Caspar, where all of the crew would have to stand by all night in the event the mooring lines might part.
The captain stood watch until 2:30 am of the following morning, January 13, 1899, when he turned in leaving orders to be called at 5:00 am with instructions to the mate to stand off and on for a mile, but visibility being bad the current and wind put the vessel into the breakers without the mate realizing it. As soon as she hit the beach she speedily began going to pieces. The vessel was valued at $30,000 and the cargo at $5,000.
A two masted schooner driven ashore by a storm along the Mendocino Coast in 1878.
Built by John Lindstrom in 1906 at Aberdeen, Washington. She displaced 792 tons. She was stranded and lost on Fuish Rock.
The J.J. Franssen was a two masted schooner. Launched in 1867 she displaced 120 tons. Her captain’s name was Jensen. She carried 150,000 board feet (which may or may not have been lost) when she parted her moorings and was wrecked at Noyo in either 1869 or 1880.
Built by J.H. Price at Bandon, Oregon in 1908. She displaced 404 tons. She was stranded and lost off Point Arguello in October, 1912.
Built by John Lindstrom in 1907 at Aberdeen, Washington. She displaced 608 tons. She was stranded and lost off of the Oregon coast in 1910.
Built by Kruse & Banks in 1917 at North Bend, Oregon. She displaced 1,921 tons. She was turned into a gambling barge.
Built by Charles G. White in 1905 at Everett, Washington. She displaced 650 tons. She foundered and sank in 1938.
John And Samuel:
The John and Samuel was a two masted schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1885.
Captain Isigkeit commanded the two masted schooner Johanna when she was stranded and lost of off the Mendocino Coast in 1877.
John And Samuel:
A two masted schooner she was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1885.
The John McCullogh was a two masted schooner launched in 1873 in Humboldt Bay. She was 76.5 feet long, 24 feet across the beam and displaced 72 tons. Her homeport was San Francisco. The John McCullough was the first schooner to put into Westport, arriving July 4th 1878 with moorings she brought up and laid. The ship loaded with lumber and sailed on July 20th, 1878. She was commanded by Captain Hansen and on contract to L. Olson of San Francisco when she parted her lines and was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1893.
A three masted schooner known to have worked the doghole ports of the Mendocino Coast.
J.R. Whiting (2nd):
Was driven ashore at Noyo on February 1863, and “will be a total loss”, according to the Ukiah Herald of Feb. 17, 1863. “She was under the command of Dan Kehler, younger brother of John Kehler of Mendocino.” She was refloated and repaired. Then on November 17, 1865, while tied up in Noyo harbor during the great storm of that year, she was lost without a trace. Seven men were lost with her. The vessel was partially insured by her owner Eugene Brown of Mendocino.
Captain Gage was in charge of the sailing brig J.S.Cabot when she dragged her anchor and capsized off the Mendocino Coast in 1860.
Built in 1904 by John Lindstrom at Aberdeen, Washington. She displaced 392 tons. She was stranded and lost off of Albion, California on December, 23rd, 1919.
The Judson was a two masted schooner wrecked off the Mendocino Coast in 1858
Julia H. Ray:
She was built in san Francisco and displaced 177 tons. She was stranded and lost in Coos bay in 1885.
Built by John Lindstrom in 1908 at Fairhaven, California. She displaced 531 tons. She was broken up in 1940.
Built by Kruse & Banks in 1913 at North Bend, Oregon. She displaced 993 tons. She was stranded and lost in Humboldt Bay on January 21st, 1941.
She displaced 195 tons and was sunk by a monster wave off of the Mendocino Coast in 1855.
A 130 ton two masted schooner owned by Higgins and Collins she was launched in 1868. Commanded by Captain I. Wilson she was wrecked and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1883.
Built by J.H. Price in 1910 at Fairhaven, California. She displaced 1,038 tons. The Klamath was wrecked on the night of February 4, 1921 near Gualala. Captain Thomas Jamieson, a veteran on the bridge, was taking her to Portland in ballast with a complement of 34 officers and men and 19 passengers.
The lookout cried, "Breakers Ahead!" But it was too late. The ship struck a rock just offshore of the ghost town of Del Mar Landing. Skipper and mate rushed to the bridge, orders were shouted for full astern but the steam schooner was doomed. She just ran her stern onto another hidden rock, wrecking her tailshaft and propeller. Jamieson had his wireless operator send an SOS and all aboard went on deck to abandon ship. The Cuaracao and the Everett, the Klamath's sister-ship heard her call for help but could only stand offshore in deeper water, unable to be of any assistance.
One of Jamieson's brave seamen, Charles Svenson, volunteered to swim a line ashore. He made it safely and a breeches buoy was rigged up. Inhabitants of Del Mar Landing area helped and summoned the Coast Guard from Point Arena. The problem of how to get baby Phil Buckley ashore was solved when a seaman tied a garbage can to his back, placed the baby in it and rode ashore with his "papoose" in the breeches buoy.
The Klamath had broken her back and was a total loss. Only Snookums, the ship cat, lost his life.