The National City was a single deck wooden schooner of 310 registered tons and measured 149 ft. in length, 34 breadth and 10 ft. deep. She was built in 1888 by Hay & Wright in San Francisco and owned by National Steamship Company, a subsidiary of Union Lumber Company. Powered by a 450 horsepower triple expansion engine, she carried 320,000 board feet of lumber. The National City was sold in 1918 to a company operating in Peru.
Built by Hay & Wright in San Francisco in 1887. She displaced 292 tons. She was a two masted steam schooner.
Built by Hammond Lumber Company in Fairhaven, California in 1912. She displaced 752 tons. She foundered in san Pablo Bay in 1936.
Built by the Hammond Lumber Company in in 1910 at Fairhaven, California. She displaced 632 tons. She was broken up in 1937.
The two-masted schooner, Nettie Sundborg, beached at Hardy Creek during a gale on May 1, 1897. The schooner was owned by Hayman & Mayer of San Francisco. She was 74 feet long, 25 feet and 4 inches broad, and 6 feet deep. Her net tonnage was 64 tons. She was moored at the Hardy Creek Lumber Company’s dock, preparing to load bark when she broke her moorings in heavy seas. Attempts to secure the ship were unsuccessful, and with his crew safely in the riggings, Captain Johnson decided to cut the remaining stern lines and allow the ship to drift ashore. The Nettie Sundborg was subsequently repaired, and she continued operating along the Pacific Coast until she wrecked for a final time near the entrance to the Suislaw River, Oregon on December 28, 1902.
She was built by John W. Dickie in 1898 at San Francisco. She displaced 450 tons. She was stranded and lost off Bodega October 8th, 1908.
The Newsboy was built in 1888 by Boole and Beaton in Oakland, California. She displaced 201 tons. She was powered by a 170 horsepower compound engine built by Savage Sons & Co and measured 121 ft in length, 31 breadth and 9 ft. deep. She was owned by J. J. Smith who sold her to Robert Dollar in 1892. It was to become his first steamship and the beginning of his start as a steamship man.
The Newsboy was later sold to the California & Oregon Coast Steamship Company. She wrecked on Humboldt Bar on March 31, 1906 after a collision with the steam schooner Wasp.
A two masted schooner launched in 1869 and weighing 20 tons she was owned by Captain Hendrix. Commanded by Captain Pendleton she parted her moorings and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1882.
Built by Bendixsen in Fairhaven, California in 1900. She displaced 939 tons. She was destroyed by fire off of Antioch.
The Nordic Pride was a 105 ton purse seiner. She was launched and lost in 1941 when she foundered off of the Mendocino Coast.
In August 1926 S.S. Norlina was wrecked off Salt Point, near Gualala, California, where her remains are now an attraction for divers. She had a very interesting 17 year life.
She started off as the British S.S. Harfleur. She was transferred to American registry and renamed Georgiana in 1915. In the following year she changed American owners and became Norlina. On 4 June 1917 S.S. Norlina fought off an attack by a German U-boat, reportedly U-88.
She was commissioned in the U.S. Navy at Baltimore, Maryland, in early May 1918 as USS Norlina (ID # 1597). After loading a shipment of Army supplies at Baltimore, she bunkered at Norfolk and then joined a transatlantic convoy at New York in late May. The ship unloaded her cargo at Le Havre in June and returned to Baltimore in July. Between August and December she carried out two similar voyages, delivering Army supplies to Bordeaux and Nantes, France. In late December 1918 Norlina sailed from Norfolk for Chile with a cargo of coal. In Chile the ship exchanged the coal for a load of nitrates and copper ore, which she delivered at Charleston, South Carolina, and Savannah, Georgia in March and April 1919. USS Norlina (ID # 1597) was decommissioned in May 1919 and delivered to the U.S. Shipping Board for simultaneous return to her owners, the Garland Steamship Norlina was a 4,596 gross ton freighter. She was built in West Hartlepool, England in 1909 as Company of New York City.
The picture below of the sailing schooner “Norma” on the sand bar of Ten Mile river is on the wall of The Fort Bragg Guest House. The Norma had spent 14 days off shore waiting to enter Fort Bragg. Her last attempt ended her career—on November 18, 1898. She was a 3-masted schooner, 138.5 ft. length, by 34.1 ft. breadth and 10.5 feet deep. Norma was not a regular “doghole” schooner though she did carry a number of redwood cargoes. The wheel of the Norma is on display in Guest House Museum in Fort Bragg.
The North American was a two masted schooner wrecked off the Mendocino Coast in 1859.
The Northbend was a sailing brig that was wrecked off the Mendocino Coast in 1855.
Built by Bendixsen at Fairhaven, California in 1888. She displaced 322 tons. She was stranded and lost off of Punta Gorda on September 12th, 1919.
Built by Hall Brothers at Winslow, Washington in 1904. She displaced 845 tons. She was lost in a collision in San Francisco Bay in 1927.
A two masted schooner under Captain Johnson. She struck a rock and capsized off of the Mendocino Coast in 1880.
Built by Hall Brothers at Winslow, Washington. She displaced 760 tons. She was broken up in 1933.
The following articles were authored by our historian Louis Hough and appeared in the Mendocino Beacon. The articles tell the stories of the four coasters named Noyo.
A two masted sailing schooner the Olivia Schultz parted her lines and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1883.
She was built by G.H. Hitchings in Hoquiam, Washington in 1901. She displaced 688 tons.
built by Mathewws Shipbuilding Co. in 1913 at Hoquiam, Washington. She displaced 844 tons. She foundered and was lost on October, 27th, 1918.
Ontario was a wind powered brig. She was scuttled and used as a breakwater in 1853.
built by Andrew Petersen in 1916 in Aberdeen, Washington. She displaced 989 tons. She was laid up in Oakland Creek, San Francisco Bay.
The Orteric was a British 6,696 ton tramp steamer built in 1919, 412 feet long and 55 feet wide at the beam. Launched in 1919 she was commanded by Captain Harper. She was grounded 4 miles north of Anchor Bay and lost on December 11, 1922 with a cargo of Black Persian Sheep, which escaped into the hills. The ship was partially salvaged with John Ross buying the anchors and chains for mooring at Rockport.
The Osceola was a two masted scow/schooner under the command of Captain Hoargard. She displaced 45 tons and was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1880.